Higher Education

                                Fall application is closed.


Any tribal member of the Choctaw Nation actively pursuing a higher education degree may apply to receive assistance in the form of a scholarship or grant payable directly to an accredited college or university. There are no minimum blood quantum or location restrictions; however, students with multiple tribal lineages may only receive assistance from one tribe. Students must be working towards a minimum of an associate’s degree. Students may receive assistance with one Associates Degree, one Bachelor’s Degree, one Masters Degree, and one Doctorate Degree. Students seeking to obtain recognized certifications and/or licenses may contact the Choctaw Nation Career Development Program.

High School students who are concurrently enrolled and receiving college credit may apply for the concurrent scholarship offered by the Higher Education Program. Click here for more information about our Concurrent Program. 

How to Apply

Please provide all of the following documents: (failure to submit these files will result in a delay in your award process).

  • Copy of High School, GED, or a complete previous college transcript.
  • Document showing student ID number from the institution.
  • FERPA Authorization Form. Click here, to download.

Transcripts from each individual institution(s) must show all previous courses taken, awarded credit hours per course, and grades earned for each course.

  • Concurrent students must submit their high school transcript, their college transcript (if any credit has been earned), and their college class schedule.
  • Name of student, institution, & total number of credit hours earned must be shown or the transcript will NOT be accepted.
  • Transcripts that are altered will NOT be accepted. Please do not write on or add graphics to the transcript.

Copy of upcoming semester class schedule

  • Degree Audits & Weekly Views are unacceptable forms of documentation for this requirement.
  • Name of student, institution, & total number of credit hours earned per course must be shown or the transcript will NOT be accepted.
  • Class schedules that are altered will NOT be accepted. Please do not write on or add graphics to the schedule.

Copy of Certificate Degree of Indian Blood card (CDIB) and Tribal Membership card.

Application Deadlines and Processing Time

Students MUST apply for Higher Education funding each semester prior to the application deadline. 

Due to a large volume of applications, students can expect a 6-8 week processing time from the moment an application is received by HEP. The Higher Education office will communicate with the applicant via the email provided on the application. It is recommended that students apply with an email address that will be monitored frequently. If your contact information changes, it is the student's responsibility to contact HEP to update the file. Students over the age of 18, must speak directly with HEP. FERPA releases do not permit our team to alter contact data with any other party. 

Semester / Quarter Application Open and Close Dates
Spring Semester (Jan - May) January 1st* - March 1st 
Fall Semester (August - December) July 15th - October 1st

* The Spring semester application will open the 1st business day as CNO offices are closed for the New Year on January 1st. 

* The Fall application will open the following Monday if the 15th occurs on a weekend.

Responsibilities of Recipient

Students earning less than the required GPA or earning less than 12 hours, if applied at full time status - 6 hours if applied for part-time status, will be placed on probation for one semester. At that time, students will be required to improve their GPA and earn the required number of hours during the next semester to remain with the program. If these requirements are not met, the student will be suspended from the program. Students earning less than 12 hours and a GPA of 1.0 or less will automatically be suspended from the program at the end of that semester. Students who withdraw from school officially, or unofficially, will be suspended unless there is a reasonable explanation presented in writing. HEP doesn't pay for repeat, zero-level, or leveling courses. If a student changes institutions, the student must contact the HEP.

*Students must provide their contact information, so HEP can contact them.

  Undergraduate Graduate
Full Time Status 12 or more credit hours  9 or  more credit hours 
Part Time Status 6-11 credit hours 6-8 credit hours

Any degree program that considers full time or part time status of a different enrollment rate, must be shown in writing from the institution.

Students can apply with less than part-time status, hours will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.

For example: if a graduate or professional program considers 6 credit hours as a full time status, the student must provide a letter from the registrar stating this fact. 


    1-800-522-6170 ext: 2518.